What is Himalayan Sea Salt?
The Himalayan mountain range stretches across Asia passing through China, Nepal, Myanmar, Pakistan, Bhutan, Afghanistan, and India. Himalayan Pink Salt is pure, hand-mined salt found naturally, deep within the pristine Himalayan Mountains. Crystallized over 250 million years ago the natural salt crystals are hand-harvested from mineral deposits on salt cave floors that have been dated by geologists to the Precambrian Age.
Himalayan salt is mined from the underground salt mines in the foot hills of the Himalayan Mountains and is the purest salt available on earth.
Himalayan salt produces negative ions that help purify the air of allergens, bacteria, dust, and other pollutants, and when warmed the crystal salt emits a negative charge that enriches our environment. As the negatively charged ions enter our bodies they attach to the toxins and neutralize their charge, thus detoxifying our systems. Because the salt beds were covered by lava, ice, and snow for millions of years, Himalayan salt is free of many modern-day pollutants.
Himalayan salt has magnesium and sulfate plus 82 other minerals and trace elements, including sodium and chloride and is truly salt – as such there are certain properties that come with that, including, being anti-microbial, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial. Himalayan Pink salt is used by spa’s and individuals who are interested in utilising natural products to heal the body and relax the mind.
What are the benefits?
Taking any kind of bath can be a relaxing experience. Studies have shown that bathing in warm water for 10 minutes can reduce fatigue, stress, and pain and increase feelings of contentment and emotional health. By adding Himalayan sea salt a healing and therapeutic experience is created for both mind and body.
Advocates say that Himalayan salt is able to generate negative ions in the air, creating the type of calming effect many people experience on a saltwater beach. Anecdotal evidence also suggests people find mineral baths, like Himalayan salt baths, to be soothing and relaxing.
Himalayan sea salt is known to:
- be a powerful detoxifier – this ionic salt solution helps to extract the toxins out of your skin and tissues
- recharge your body – as your body organs resonate with the natural frequency of the minerals in the salt bath, your body is recharged, your metabolism boosted and self-healing powers are triggered
- hydrate your skin, leaving your skin softer and smoother. The salt is stored in the upper layer of the skin, creating a natural protective film on the skin and preventing dryness
- reduce inflammation within our bodies, which, makes it of great benefit to those suffering from arthritis and other ailments of inflammation, it can also provide relief to cramped muscles and muscle aches, due to the presence of calcium and other trace minerals
- treat acne/eczema/psoriasis – salt has antimicrobial properties, which may make it beneficial for treating acne, a salt bath might be a good way to treat acne on hard-to-reach areas of the body where breakouts occur, such as the back or shoulders. Mineral baths have been shown to have benefits for people with eczema or psoriasis. They can reduce scaling, redness, and irritation
- soothe insect bites -advocates for Himalayan salt believe that a soak in warm water containing Himalayan salt can help soothe itch and reduce swelling
Why is Himalayan Salt is better than other salts and what are the many uses of it for health benefits?
Himalayan salt is naturally created from over 80 minerals including: sulphate, magnesium, calcium, potassium, bicarbonate, bromide, borate, strontium, and fluoride (in descending order of quantity).
Because of these minerals Himalayan pink salt can:
Create an electrolyte balance
Regulate water content both inside and outside of cells
Balance pH (alkaline/acidity) and help to reduce acid reflux
Prevent muscle cramping
Aid in proper metabolism functioning
Lower blood pressure
Help the intestines absorb nutrients
Dissolve and eliminate sediment to remove toxins
It is also said to support libido, reduce the signs of ageing, and detoxify the body from heavy metals.
How to prepare a Himalayan Salt Bath
- Rinse off in the shower to remove any dirt, oils, and cosmetic products from your body
- Fill your bath with warm water, but not too hot
- Add a handful or two of Himalayan salt to the bathwater and let it dissolve
- Salt baths can dehydrate some people. Keep a glass of cool water nearby in case you feel dehydrated during your bath
- Bathe for 10 to 30 minutes.
- Always rinse off as minerals can leave a residue on your skin, making it feel dry or itchy
- Moisturize your skin afterward
Side effects are very unusual, however, if your skin becomes irritated or very itchy, rinse off the bathwater and do not use it again.